Skip to main content

"One to Grow On"

friar Rich, OFM Conv.


It's hard to believe that a year has already passed since the Franciscan Center in Shamokin/Coal Township was blessed. We could not have asked for better weather, a better turnout, or better anything!  Four other student friars and myself had just arrived from a weeklong retreat in New Mexico, and that was the first stop on a summer long experience reflecting on our minoritas as friars and the preferential option for the poor.  It would wind up being an incredible experience.

During the dedication, Bishop Gainer used a phrase that really stood out to me (I wrote a blog post about it): "A rising tide lifts all the boats".  Throughout the rest of my stay in Shamokin, in all the different people I spoke with, I saw how the Holy Spirit was moving in little ways to start to make a difference.  But that movement was not confined to Shamokin, but throughout the rest of the places we visited in Appalachia and Latin America.  

As part of formation as a friar, we each get the opportunity to do an apostolic year of service.  It is a year of full-time ministry away from studies to help a student friar experience what the life of full-time ministry is like.  Something about Shamokin stayed with me and I felt called to come back.  Gradually, over the past year, I've prayed and discerned this with my formators and leaders, and they agreed that my apostolic year should be here.



The world has changed quite a bit since I was last here.  The stay-at-home orders have complicated the revitalization efforts in town, but they haven't dampened the enthusiasm for it.  As the orders are being cautiously lifted, people are gradually coming outside again, but still keeping a distance.  The scene of crowds, like in the picture above from last year's blessing, isn't happening yet.  But there's hope that it will again one day.  And there's hope we can resume the work that we started, letting the Holy Spirit's tide continue to rise.


When I was in elementary school, the teacher would give us "Birthday High Fives".  Simultaneously serving for celebration and as a counting exercise, you always got an extra one as the "one to grow on", and it was the one the rest of the class would shout the loudest!  I pray that the year ahead will be blessed for all those working so hard in Shamokin.  Happy Birthday to the Franciscan Center in Shamokin, and here's one to grow on!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Just Plantin' Seeds

friar Rich,  OFM Conv. I do not have a green thumb.   At least, not yet.   I’ve almost killed my aloe plant, which I’m told should be one of the easiest plants to cultivate.   Fortunately, one of the friars here is an outstanding gardener and has prescribed a course of treatment to save it.      We have several gardening spots either at the friary or the parish where we’ve been working as the good weather permits: transplanting some plants, removing others, getting the vegetables into the ground, and the perpetual chore of weeding.  In between his gardening guidance, he often repeats the same phrase: “It’s all about planting seeds.” But even outside the garden, the phrase finds use.  Several times, as we’ve been running errands, we’ve had an unexpected encounter or event call our attention.  What first seems like a chance happening quickly turns into something else as the increasing number of coincidences compound into something beyond mere chance - a moment of grace.  Then, when i